Saturday 24 July 2021

Multiple versions of Sqlite3 for Python on the same server

On a Linux server, I have some Python scripts using the built-in sqlite3 module (+ some Sqlite extensions built from source, as detailed in Upgrade Python's sqlite3 on Debian).

For another Python script, I need a newer version of the Sqlite shared library than the one I already have on the system. Reason: I need Sqlite higher than 3.25.0 for Window Functions.

If I install it from source here and do make and make install, it will probably overwrite previous versions of this library on the server, and could potentially break other OS tools using it.

How do you handle the general problem of having multiple versions of the Sqlite shared library?

I don't think Python virtual environments can be used for this context, or would it be possible?

Note: pip3 install --upgrade sqlite3 does not exist: we cannot upgrade Python's built-in sqlite3 package like this. And by the way we probably should not, since it could break some OS tools using Python + sqlite3.



from Multiple versions of Sqlite3 for Python on the same server

No comments:

Post a Comment