Monday 22 January 2024

How to implement Default Language without URL Prefix in Next.js 14 for Static Export?

I am currently working on a website using Next.js 14, with the aim of exporting it as a static site for distribution via a CDN (Cloudflare Pages). My site requires internationalization (i18n) support for multiple languages. I have set up a folder structure for language support, which looks like this:

- [language]
  -- layout.tsx  // generateStaticParams with possible languages
  -- page.tsx
  -- ...

This setup allows me to access pages with language prefixes in the URL, such as /en/example and /de/example.

However, I want to implement a default language (e.g., English) that is accessible at the root path without a language prefix (/example). Importantly, I do not wish to redirect users to a URL with the language prefix for SEO purposes. Nor can I use the rewrite function because I'm using static export.

Here are my specific requirements:

  1. Access the default language pages directly via the root path (e.g., /example for English).
  2. Avoid redirects to language-prefixed URLs (e.g., not redirecting /example to /en/example).
  3. Maintain the ability to access other languages with their respective prefixes (e.g., /de/example for German).

I am looking for guidance on:

How to realise this with Next.js 14 to serve the default language pages at the root path without a language prefix. Ensuring that this setup is compatible with the static export feature of Next.js.

Any insights, code snippets, or references to relevant documentation would be greatly appreciated.



from How to implement Default Language without URL Prefix in Next.js 14 for Static Export?

No comments:

Post a Comment