Thursday 14 December 2023

PWA won't go fullscreen after deinstall/install

My PWA worked happily in manifest -> display: fullscreen for years. Yesterday I came across a recent Chrome/Android bug where my PWA would no longer auto rotate from lansdscape/portrait. Having seen in SO that the fix required a de-install and re-install of my PWA I went ahead.

Good news, is my PWA is once again responsive to orientation change.

Bad news, my PWA with not go back to fullscreen mode and maxes out at standalone :-(

I have upped the version on my cache to hopefully reload all files but still no joy.

Please help!

Yes, you have to grant geolocation access but all the code is available on github.

To reproduce: -

Please navigate to this URL and

  • If you don't have a Google Maps API key just click "No Maps!"
  • Wait a bit and you will be prompted to install the PWA.
  • Click install
  • Exit Android Chrome
  • Go to your phone "Apps" scroll across and you should see Brotkrumen with a ginger-bread house icon.
  • The app launches in standalone mode and not fullscreen.
  • Watch the wicked witch capture Hansel and Gretel

EDIT 1 Further info. If you open Brotkrumen in Chrome and then press the kebab menu, you'll see the option to "Open Brotkrumen". If you click that it opens in full screen but with black space at the top. (Just like the image below)

ScreenShot example of PWA trip replay



from PWA won't go fullscreen after deinstall/install

No comments:

Post a Comment