Saturday 2 December 2023

Bring draggable div to the front in React.js when user clicks on it

I want to bring a draggable box to the front when I click on it or drag it.

I don't know in advance the maximum number of such boxes because I have a button that creates a new draggable box when the user clicks on the button.

The button should always be on top no matter how many boxes there are, so its z-index should always be the greatest.

So these are my problems:

  1. How to bring a box to the front when the user clicks on it.
  2. How to make the button stay at the front.

And I am new to ReactJS.

This is what I currently have in MyComponent.js

import React, { useState }  from 'react';
import Draggable from 'react-draggable';

function MyComponent() {
    const [currZIndex, setZIndex] = useState(0);

    const bringForward = () => {
        setZIndex(currZIndex + 1);
    }

    return (
        <Draggable onMouseDown={bringForward}>
            <div className="mydiv" style=></div>
        </Draggable>
    );
}

The problem of my current implementation is that each component knows only its own z-index, but does not know what is the current highest z-index. And z-index increases whenever I click on any div, so this makes the z-indexes unnecessarily large.

If div1 has a z-index of 6 and div2 has a z-index of 2, I have to click div2 5 times to make its z-index become 7 in order to bring div2 to the front.

I still haven't come up with an idea on how to deal with the z-index of the button.

Fyr this is what I have in App.js

import React, { useState } from 'react';
import MyComponent from './MyComponent';

function App() {
  const [componentList, setComponentList] = useState([]);

  function addNewComponent() {
    setComponentList(componentList.concat(<MyComponent key={componentList.length} />));
  }

  return (
    <div>
      <button onClick={addNewComponent}>New Component</button>
      {componentList}
    </div>
  );
}


from Bring draggable div to the front in React.js when user clicks on it

No comments:

Post a Comment