Tuesday 29 August 2023

Chrome Source view interpretting JS block comments incorrectly

Chrome is currently displaying the bulk of the code in our JS files as commented out in the source view. This first section of code is managed, we don't have direct control of it. It's also fairly static, and hasn't changed in a long time. Our application code itself follows this managed code, and as a result is displayed commented out.

That said, as of a day or two ago, I started seeing this issue when I try to debug our application.

Chrome Source view

As you can see, the block comments are not terminating with the */ as expected. However while RUNNING the code, it is properly executed, as indicated by the paused execution on line 4.

I can add a /* */ at the top of a file and the code in that file will appear in source view correctly, and I can debug.

The bottom line is I can no longer debug efficiently.

My co-workers are not experiencing this issue, even on the same server, which makes it even weirder. I'm running the most up to date Chrome (Version 116.0.5845.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and have disabled all extensions.

For comparison, here's the same code in FF:

enter image description here



from Chrome Source view interpretting JS block comments incorrectly

No comments:

Post a Comment