Monday 27 December 2021

How to transform output of NN, while still being able to train?

I have a neural network which outputs output. I want to transform output before the loss and backpropogation happen.

Here is my general code:

with torch.set_grad_enabled(training):
                  outputs = net(x_batch[:, 0], x_batch[:, 1]) # the prediction of the NN
                  # My issue is here:
                  outputs = transform_torch(outputs)
                  loss = my_loss(outputs, y_batch)

                  if training:
                      scheduler.step()
                      loss.backward()
                      optimizer.step()

Following the advice in How to transform output of neural network and still train? , I have a transformation function which I put my output through:

def transform_torch(predictions):
    new_tensor = []
    for i in range(int(len(predictions))):
      arr = predictions[i]
      a = arr.clone().detach() 
      
      # My transformation, which results in a positive first element, and the other elements represent decrements of the first positive element.
     
      b = torch.negative(a)
      b[0] = abs(b[0])
      new_tensor.append(torch.cumsum(b, dim = 0))

      # new_tensor[i].requires_grad = True
    new_tensor = torch.stack(new_tensor, 0)    

    return new_tensor

Note: In addition to clone().detach(), I also tried the methods described in Pytorch preferred way to copy a tensor, to similar result.

My problem is that no training actually happens with this tensor that is tranformed.

If I try to modify the tensor in-place (e.g. directly modify arr), then Torch complains that I can't modify a tensor in-place with a gradient attached to it.

Any suggestions?



from How to transform output of NN, while still being able to train?

No comments:

Post a Comment