Sunday 31 October 2021

AssetLinks file expected traffic and failure scenarios

I am working on setting up my Android app to work with HTTP Web Links according to the various guides and protocols and have successfully setup the deeplinks which includes serving my assetlinks file from /.well-known/assetlinks.json. Everything is working as expected. What I am struggling with from an operational perspective is how to go about maintaining this file -- specifically during update and failure scenarios.

Let's say I have existing customers who have downloaded my app and are using weblinks just fine. I update my assetlink file and push the new version to my server. When do my customers get the updated assetlink file? Is the OS configured to check for updates on some cadence or app launch? Is it only on app update or reinstall?

Similarly, imagine my website is down. New users are installing my app and the OS will not be able to associate my domain and when customers click the HTTP web links they will not be deeplinked into the app. This makes sense. But after I recover from my outage when will the customer get their assetlink file given the app is already installed?

Similarly lets say I upload an invalid assetlinks.json file. Will this break the current web links for existing customers who already had a valid association when they first installed the app?

Understanding these issues will ultimately help me better troubleshoot customer issues and tune the expected traffic I should expect to see for my assetlinks file from my server.



from AssetLinks file expected traffic and failure scenarios

No comments:

Post a Comment