Saturday 20 March 2021

Is my SQLite Database is secured after using SQLCipher?

I have replaced SQLiteOpenHelper with import net.sqlcipher.database.SQLiteOpenHelper

For inserting datas into Database and getting data from it, I have used
SQLiteDatabase db = this.getWritableDatabase("mypassword");

instead of below

SQLiteDatabase db = this.getWritableDatabase();

Below is my oncreate and onUpgrade,

@Override
    public void onCreate(net.sqlcipher.database.SQLiteDatabase db) {

        db.execSQL(ARecords.CREATE_TABLE);
        db.execSQL(BRecords.CREATE_TABLE);
    }

    @Override
    public void onUpgrade(net.sqlcipher.database.SQLiteDatabase db, int oldVersion, int newVersion) {
// Drop older table if existed
        db.execSQL("DROP TABLE IF EXISTS " + ARecords.TABLE_NAME);
        db.execSQL("DROP TABLE IF EXISTS " + BRecords.TABLE_NAME);
        //Create tables again
        onCreate(db);

    }

In MainActivity,

SQLiteDatabase.loadLibs(this);

below is my dependencies

implementation 'net.zetetic:android-database-sqlcipher:4.4.3'
    implementation 'androidx.sqlite:sqlite:2.1.0'

I am using SQLCipher for preventing my application from attacker gets access to the data stored in the /data/data/com.applicationname/ directory

Rooted devices can have access to the data/data/com.applicationname/ directory right.Then using SQLCipher wont allow users to the directory ?

  1. Now I want to make sure whether my database is now secured. How to know that?
  2. I am using hardcoded passwords inside getWritableDatabase. Is that good way to do? Or it may be hacked?

Also I have seen below tutorial for Encryption. So now I am confused. Using SQLCipher itself good or need to do like below tutorial

https://www.raywenderlich.com/778533-encryption-tutorial-for-android-getting-started%20tutorial#toc-anchor-001

Thanks in Advance



from Is my SQLite Database is secured after using SQLCipher?

No comments:

Post a Comment