Friday 13 July 2018

Models from my Alembic files (.abc) have flattened node hierarchies and are missing faces in iOS

I'm trying to export a simple 3D scene from Houdini and use it in an iOS app (with SceneKit). But I'm encountering many troubles after I add the .abc file to my XCode project. My two main problems are:
Firstly, Scene Graph doesn't seem to detect child nodes in my .abc files. Instead, iOS/XCode appears to flatten all my nested subnetworks/child nodes into top-level nodes, none of which show their children. How can I preserve my node hierarchy? Do I need to make changes in my Houdini network to explicitly mark nodes as children?
Secondly, my models lose their color data and look broken. If I convert .abc to .scn, they look a little better, but they still look broken. Am I missing a step here? Do I need to manually add materials or do something different with lighting? Why does my scene look nothing like is does rendered in Houdini?
This is how it's supposed to look: enter image description here
This is how it looks in iOS: enter image description here
This is how it looks after conversion to .scn. Slightly better but still broken. enter image description here


from Models from my Alembic files (.abc) have flattened node hierarchies and are missing faces in iOS

No comments:

Post a Comment