Wednesday 30 May 2018

Documenting class attributes with type annotations

I want to autogenerate documentation to my code from docstrings. I have some basic class meant to store some data:

class DataHolder:
    """
    Class to hold some data

    Attributes:
        batch: Run without GUI
        debug (bool): Show debug messages
    """
    batch: bool = False
    debug: bool = False
    name: str = 'default'
    """Object name"""
    version: int = 0
    """int: Object version"""

My rst file:

DataHolder
==========

.. autoclass:: data_holder.DataHolder
   :members:

I have documented each attribute in a different way to show the difference, here is the output:
enter image description here

It seems like Sphinx cannot connect the Attributes section with the real attributes, that's why it cannot display their default value.

The final output I would like to achieve is the outcome as for the version field with the docstring defined as for batch. I want to display the attribute name with default value and type, but taken from type annotations. Looks like Sphinx is ignoring the type annotations in this case.

My sphinx extensions:

extensions = [
    'sphinx.ext.viewcode',
    'sphinx.ext.autodoc',
    'sphinxcontrib.napoleon',
]

What can I do to achieve such behavior? I can't find any good examples for such use case.



from Documenting class attributes with type annotations

1 comment:

  1. https://www.wizweb.in

    Wizweb Technology is a leading software development company custom website design, software development, SMS Provider, Bulk sms, transactional sms, promotional sms, mobile app development, Hosting Solution, seo(search engine optimization) and Digital marketing etc.

    ReplyDelete